Tuesday, January 19, 2010

oh, and Institute

I also added to my crazy schedule 2 Institute classes. I actually just joined these 2 classes because they were the ones my roommate was taking, but I'm really glad she did.

My first one is "Scripture Study: The Power of the Word" taught by Brother Gibbons. First of all, I love him. He is very funny and makes class very entertaining. Sam and I were talking about the differences in our 2 classes and how we really got the best of both worlds. In this class we learn a lot. I have pages and pages of notes and references already. It's very factual and informative, and through that I of course feel the spirit. But it feels more like a school class information wise. Which is really not a bad thing, I like it a lot and like I said am learning A LOT.

My second one though is "The Teachings of Thomas S. Monson" taught by Brother Sodderberg. I love him too and he is also very funny. But he teaches more by the spirit in my opinion. We hardly ever get through all we are supposed to in one day, just because he kind of lets things happen and "goes with the flow." I feel the spirit so so strongly ever day in his class. Plus, what better topic could there be? He gave us this notebook of talks that we just go through one at a time throughout the semester. I just finished the one we are doing today called "Finishers Wanted" its from the July 1972 Ensign. And wow. It is powerful. Definitely made me cry just reading it. I'm so excited to go to class and hear everyone else's thoughts and comments on it.

Just in these first 2 weeks I've come to have a very strong testimony of Institute. It's so nice to have a quick hour of the spirit 4 times a week in the midst of all the other craziness college brings. I love this Gospel, more and more everyday

No comments: