Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A changed woman

my mom and I were talking about this today and I decided to blog about it cuz I think it's pretty ironic.

I called my mom after class today to tell her that we learned how to do finger pricks today and that I got poked in all 4 of my fingers (you only use the ring & middle fingers) and got 2 shots done on me. If anyone knew me 2 years ago, you'd understand the irony of this.

I can remember 2 specific instances of my "phobia", the first was when I was probably 8 or 9 years old. We went to the doctor and I learned that I would be getting a shot that day. I was literally running around the doctor's office with my mom & the nurse chasing me so she could give it to me. Instance #2, I was 18 years old. Mom & I had to get shots for our trip to Peru. As soon as the nurse left the room to go get the stuff for the shots I started bawling. I was seriously hysterical. Mom was so embarrassed by me and I'm sure the nurse's opinion of me wasn't very high either. I mean seriously, an 18 year old crying hysterically cuz of a needle that feels like nothing? Pathetic.

My point being, needles used to terrify me and blood used to gross me out. Being a nurse for my career was the farthest thing from my mind. Then I got pregnant and after going through the labor and everything it was like I was cured, and all of a sudden I wanted to be a nurse. It's crazy how drastic the change was for me, and I love it. I love my class and I can't wait to finish school and do this for a living!

1 comment:

Trent and Rhonda Wardwell said...

Hey, I've had 5 kids, and I still don't like needles...I have to look away...even for our kids' shots...I have to look away...you're one tough cookie! ;o)